Saturday, January 2, 2010

What a difference a year makes...

One year ago I was busy painting our big dining room, I guess the proper way to say that would be "formal dining room", however, there isn't anything formal about our house. Looking back now... On the 3rd last year Scott and I met mom and Lin at the Guthrie exit (little did I know at the time how acquainted we would become with that exit) to get a table that Brian and Alicia gave us, I am actually setting at that table right now while I type this. A year ago I was looking forward to taking vacation as soon as the kids went back to school so I could finish the dining room and deep clean the house, which is what I had done every year for the last 5 years. The year got off to a bad start, one of our kids got into some trouble on the 3rd of Jan. but we felt like it was going to be ok. I finished the dining room that week and went back to work on the 12th. Mom came in the 13th, I had a teacher conference with Caleb's teacher's on the 15th (he was failing math), took the kids to my dad on the 16th so we could celebrate our 5th anniversary, out for breakfast the 17th, went to Enid with Daniel and Erika, rented movies that evening, church on Sunday, Chili's for lunch, back to church that night to watch Fireproof ( highly recommend it). There was no school on the 19th, Caleb had an orthodontist appointment on the 21st, he needs braces, had a girls night out on the 23rd, Scott put up crown moulding in the dining room on the 24th, on the 26th it was icy out, no school on the 27th and 28th, so I stayed home on the 27th and took the boys to work with me on the 28th. Life seemed to be going along pretty normally right up until 29th. Thursday, January 29th, I took Caleb to the Dr. at 2pm, to have him look at his leg because there was now a lump where he had been complaining of pain for the last 5 months. They did an x-ray and the Dr. showed me what he thought was a bone cyst, and said they would set up an MRI. On Monday the 2nd, which is my birthday, they called with an appointment for the MRI, Daddy and Linda, my step mom, came over that evening. Tuesday the 3rd, Caleb started his MRI at 7 AM, when it was over I took him to school went home and took a nap and then went to work. Around 4 that afternoon the Dr.s office called and wanted to know if I could come in when the Dr. was finished with all of his patients so we could talk...told me to bring someone with me...I couldn't get in touch with Scott, so I took my sister, she has been my rock for most of my life, so it was rather fitting that she was there. Anyway, I knew of course, before we ever got there that it wasn't good and that is where this blog began... We are still here, still standing, still fighting... we have been to hell and back, but the point is, we made it back! Caleb goes back to school in a couple of days, he is apprehensive, who can blame him? He is not confident on the prosthetic leg, so he is scared, but he won't talk about it. The other night I peeked in his room while walking down the hallway and he wanted to know what I wanted, then he asked if I had come to rub it in and when I asked what he meant he said " your two leggedness". I think he is finally beginning to deal with the loss, not an easy task, for either of us! Now that he is on the threshold of going back to school and going back into the real world I think the fear of not being like all the other kids is rearing its ugly head, that whole peer pressure thing. Last year at this time Caleb couldn't wait to get back to school, 2 months ago he couldn't wait, today when someone asks if he is ready to go back he says, "I guess", so like I said in the title, what a difference a year makes!

Sooo... Christmas, was pretty quiet at our house this year, usually we have everyone over on Christmas eve, we have goodies and then the kids open gifts. This year the house is in complete disarray because of the kitchen being torn apart so no goodies, and only Zac and Tori and Ryan came over. The older the boys get the fewer gifts they get so all in all it was a pretty quiet night, not to mention the weather was horrible so no one needed to be out and about. They shut down all the major highways in Oklahoma! Christmas day we, the whole family, minus my step dad (stuck in Texas due to weather), went to Daniel's for Christmas dinner (which was delicious). It was a good day, any day with family is a good day. Jess, Darrin and D.J. made it back to town just in time for dinner so that worked out well. Now we are up to New Year's eve, and we stayed home, just Scott and I and Jacob and Caleb. The guy's watched a movie and then at midnight Jacob went outside and shot off fireworks. Yesterday evening we all went to Ben and Aimee's for goodies and games. Daniel surprised us by showing up, he was supposed to be in Nebraska, Jess, Darrin and D.J. were there, Zac came, Ashley, Aimee's sister and her daughter were there, mom came for awhile, I think I got everyone. It was another good night, we are blessed. So, today, Scott and I worked on the kitchen (mostly Scott), Daniel came by and him, Scott and Jacob ran down to the shop for awhile, then out to Lowe's to pick up some things we needed for the kitchen, we are so very close to being finished! Hopefully tomorrow we can tie up the loose ends and get this finished!!! We are still waiting on the roofers but at least Scott won't have to wear himself out on that. He has worked so hard trying to do the kitchen, going to work every day, and anything else he has to do. Jacob has helped quite a bit too! Well, I think I'll head off to bed, we have church in the morning so I need to get some rest. Caleb went to bed quite a while ago, Jacob is in his room kicking back and Scott is resting in his chair, all is right in my little world. I am leaving you with one of my devotions from today, food for thought...
Psalms 90:12 Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Thoughts on today's verse:
So often we look up and time has passed us by. The things we promised ourselves we'd accomplish and the deeds we told others we'd do get left undone. Before we know it, days have become weeks, and weeks months, and months years. We find ourselves unable to do what we once assumed we could do any time we want. We must ask the Spirit of God to help us see and seize the opportunities the LORD places in our path.

Prayer:
Father, I confess that so often I leave undone what needs to be done. Please help me see your plans in each of my days and live in a way which not only honors you, but also blesses those you want me to reach. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how my eyes are filled with tears...I sure do love you!

Anonymous said...

May the Lord bless you all