Thursday, November 19, 2009

Home stretch...



Well folks, we are on the home stretch. We came in yesterday morning for Caleb's last chemo, they did a GFR scan and an echo before they started his chemo so there are 2 tests out of the way already. We will be here until Sunday and then we go home! He will have to come back for more scans and then we start bringing him back every three months for checkups and he will still have to come to the city to see his prosthesis tech. He asked to go to school on Monday but he has an appointment with Kyle, his prosthesis tech. to see how he is doing with his leg, so I told him if he will start wearing the leg then he can go to school on Tuesday, he complied. He is sleeping right now and has been since yesterday evening, he had to have nausea medicine and that always knocks him out for a good long time. Bob Stoops came in again today and yes, Caleb was sleeping again!!! He got another hat, he woke up to go to the restroom and I showed him the hat and he likes it and then off to sleep he went. We got a big room this time, with a sofa that folds out, soooooooooo much better than the new fold out chairs they have. You can't feel the wood frame on your hip every time you roll over!!! This makes me very happy. Caleb had one of my favorite nurses yesterday and another one of them today, I am hoping we get all our favorite ones this time so they can all sign his poster that will go in his scrap book. Caleb has been so blessed through all of this, yes, he has had half a dozen blood transfusions but from what I hear that is not very many! Only one platelet transfusion, he ran a fever one time and only for a few hours and it was gone, he has not been sick one time through this entire thing, that is a miracle. The phantom pain that we were so worried about went away as quickly as it came, very seldom does it hit him and when it does it doesn't last for very long and it is mostly just twinges, he isn't taking any pain meds or anxiety meds, the only medication that he takes is bactrim every weekend. I read stories about other kids that have various kinds of cancers and I am so grateful and so very proud of Caleb. He has never let this disease get the best of him, not once, the only time I can remember him crying is the day Dr. Smith recommended amputation, we all cried that day, I still cry. How many 12 year old kids have the courage to say "amputate"? How many can weigh the options, know themselves well enough to know what they can handle? I am a grown woman and I'm not sure that I could. He is still my hero, he is much more courageous than I.
1 Timothy 4:12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cindy,

I followed your note from Daily Guideposts to this blog. Your family's story has touched my heart so and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Your son's courageous path is a true inspiration. I'll keep following your blog and will keep in touch.

Sabra