Thursday, May 21, 2009

Friends

I just read Kara's blog (browneyesandfreckles) and am at a loss for words... She wrote about Caleb, there are even pictures and her grasp of something I was trying to say awhile back is touching to say the least. Thank you Kara for opening your heart to see Caleb.

Caleb has always been...my first thought is "my wild child", but he wasn't so much wild, just completely independent, probably because I wasn't available for most of his first three years. Caleb has always been a very strong willed child. Most people would say rebellious but I don't think that's it. He knows what he wants and the consequences just don't matter, he is willing to pay the cost. The only thing I can ever remember him being afraid of was a stuffed gorilla that was bigger than him, he still talks about that thing. He's never been clingy or needy, he could play by himself for hours. Keeping tabs on him was nearly impossible! I would tell him not to leave the house and he would sneak out the door that I was furthest from, every time. He could be as quiet as a church mouse and I wouldn't know he was gone until I looked for him. This is all changing. The other day he wanted to go play across the street, mom and I needed to go somewhere and she was positive he would leave as soon as we did (he always had pre-c), he called me 3 times to see if he could please go across the street but he never went. For some strange reason this thing has calmed him down so much. He is still Caleb, he still wants to run and play, but he is more obedient than he ever has been. He is more touchy feely than he ever was before, he sits still for long periods of time with me now. His eyes still sparkle most of the time, he still smiles quite a bit, but he is quieter, calmer. In the Bible Caleb was one of the twelve spies sent to check out the promised land and only 2 of those spies were not afraid, Caleb was one of them. He saw the big picture, the possibilities, not the fact that those giants could crush them. He saw what God had for them, and he wanted it, period. He trusted God to give it to them, and he did. God said "Caleb is of a different spirit, and follows me whole heartedly" , I expect my Caleb will do the same. I expect him to come through this strong, with a testimony that will bring people to the knowledge and saving grace of Jesus Christ. Look at his pictures, isn't he beautiful? God has a plan and a purpose for this young mans life! For some unfathomable reason, God allowed me to play the part of mother, what ever was he thinking? :)
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I expect Caleb will come through this strong and with a testimony that will bring people to the knowledge and saving grace of Jesus Christ. Your words said it perfectly, Cindy!

Love y'all!