Friday, June 12, 2009

One day at a time sweet Jesus...

We used to sing this song:

I'm only human,I'm just a man
Help me believe in what I can be and all that I am
Show me the stairway I have to climb
Lord for my sake help me to take one day at a time
Cho... One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from You
Just give me the strength to do ev'ryday what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus, And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today show me the way One day at a time
Do you remember when you walked among men
Well Jesus you know it's worse now than then
Pushin' and shovin' crowding my mind
So for my sake, teach me to take one day at a time

That song came to mind today so I looked it up and the words are just perfect for Caleb.

Early this morning they took out the epidural and not long after, the pain overtook him. He was in excruciating pain for a very long time. Eventually the drugs kicked in and they got it under control. As horrible as it was some very good things came out of it... Caleb finally cried out to God, asked why and finally, showed some emotion. Kara has been writing on her blog about raw emotion...Caleb let go of some very raw emotion today. He screamed, and cried and it was the most horrific thing I have ever endured in my life, so I can't begin to imagine how horrifying it must be for a child. Once the pain was under control he slept for awhile and then they came in and redressed his bandage, got him to stand up and walk over to the chair with a walker. He sat in the chair for a little over an hour and then he had to go back to bed so he could sleep for a while before they come back at 2:45 and get him up again and walk him down the hall. Jessie tried to help him move back to the bed and he said to her "I can do it". This independence of his is finally a very good thing. We have all decided, Caleb is our hero!!! When the Israelites were in the desert and Caleb said we can do this...those giants weren't nearly as big as the giants my Caleb is fighting... He will overcome!
This scripture will become our family motto...

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is becoming my hero too. Prayers are being lifted up from Missouri.

Love ya!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Prayers for strength are coming from Nevada.
Keep in mind that GOD makes things happen for a reason and Satan is the one that tries to destroy everything. Never say, "Why did GOD let this happen." GOD waits for us as Satan tries to destroy us. It is our ultimate decision to follow whom we choose. It was the agreement that was made when Satan made his choice to be the BAD ANGEL. I know where you stand in your faith, don't falter. Everyone be strong. Sadness and question will fill your soul at times, but just remember the other part of my message. GOD has a reason. You just have to figure out what it is. The silver lining that I see is that with the surgery, maybe all of it will be gone, and the treatments will cease sooner. He can heal and become healthy again, then adjust to the new. Changes are inevitable and all of you will be going through so many of them. Always try to find the silver lining as hard as it may be. If you can't find it, let me know. I always find the silver lining in any situation. I have had to for 42 years. I refuse to stop finding it now. Sometimes that lining is what got me through to the next day when I thought I could go no farther. Mine and Jims prayers are with all of you as it is all of you that will be dealing with the surgery and life changing results, but know that not one of you is ever alone, no matter how many miles are between us. We are family, we are friends, and through anything, Mansfield’s hang in there and survive. That is what we do. Since you married Scott, you and all of your kids are our family. Can't get rid of us now. We love you and the boys. Our prayers are there. GOD is there even if you may wonder at times.
Love, Angie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. Love y'all.