Friday, June 5, 2009

Update...

Well, we changed the surgery date to Wednesday. I thought we could use a couple of extra days to absorb this. When we left home this morning I was still trying to decide if this was the right decision. I needed peace about this and to be perfectly honest I did not want to talk to God about it, I was just a little upset with Him. So... we got to the city and they showed us a little bit of the place and then they gave Caleb a t-shirt, water bottle, we got a bag, some pens and other stuff and then we met with a technician, by the way this place is awesome. She showed us some prosthetics, showed us how they work and then she brought in Josh. Josh works there, he is 21 and is an amputee. Josh had a form of bone cancer when he was a child and had his leg amputated at age 8. He is awesome. Caleb really enjoyed talking to him, he listened better than he has through this entire ordeal. As we sat there listening to Josh I felt so much better about this. When we were through talking they showed us the rest of the place, where they make the prosthetics, all the different stages of it and where he will have it fitted and then learn to use it. And yes, they really do make them right there. As we were touring I took a minute to thank Josh for talking to Caleb, he answered some questions I had and then, low and behold, I had peace. He even gave me his cell number for Caleb in case he has questions and wants to talk to him. He is an awesome young man! If he were just a little bit older, I know a couple of young ladies... :)
Caleb told me on the way home what he wants on his prosthetic, )they can put pictures, t-shirts, tatoos on them)... he has a poster in his room of the cross, with the purple robe over the arms of the cross and a crown of thorns over the top, with John 3:16 under the cross, he wants that put on his new leg. So Caleb is getting a tatoo...lol... I'm still not ok with this, I still want a miracle, but somewhere deep inside I think I knew this day would come. I keep standing on the story of Caleb in the Bible...he knew with God on his side he could do anything! Caleb knows this will not be easy but he is determined to make it work, and the fact that he asked for the cross on his leg let's me know that just like Caleb from the Bible, my Caleb "is of a different spirit and will follow God wholeheartedly".
Psalm 33:22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Oh...my heart. What a sweetheart of a boy you have. <3 I think you're wise to take the days to come to grips.